Trucks have remained the most popular vehicle for commercial transport because of their versatility. Trucking services account for 14% of the nation’s GDP. While the prospects for the industry are looking up due to the rise of e-commerce, competition has also risen.
With increasing fuel prices and competition, transport services providers must find ways to optimize their operations to remain profitable. One of the ways by which they can ensure the best use of their vehicles is by hauling the appropriate truck load for their truck type. Carrying the right truck load increases your profit and reduces the chances of loss due to damage to the truck.
For example: If a Small Commercial Vehicle (SCV) is used to haul heavy goods like machinery, its chassis might break, or it may suffer accidents, which will cause damage to the vehicle as well as the truck load. On the other hand, if a Heavy Commercial Vehicle (HCV) is used to transport light goods like postal deliveries in small amounts, the fuel costs would make it unprofitable.
Thus, it is very important that the trucks must be matched with the appropriate truck loads to make good use of their abilities. Listed below are the many types of trucks and the most suitable load for them:
Types of Trucks:
• Small Commercial vehicles (SCV)
If your truck’s Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is under 3 Tons, it is classified as a Small Commercial Vehicle or SCV. They have lighter engines and are suitable for intra-city transport of small amounts of goods. SCVs are further classified into:
1. Mini Truck: Mini trucks generally have an engine below 1000cc. It is suitable for transporting truck loads like couriers, postal delivery, making home deliveries of food, electronic appliances, and so on, within the city. Example: Tata Ace, also known as Chota Hathi.
2. Pickup Truck: A pickup truck is a Light Commercial Vehicle (LCV) with a closed cabin and an attached cargo area. It is suitable for family travel, transporting milk cans, grain bags, and fresh produce to markets and shops. Example: Tata Yodha Pickup, Mahindra Bolero Pick-Up.
• Light Commercial Vehicles (LCV) and Intermediate Commercial Vehicles (ICV)
Trucks whose Gross Vehicle Weight is under 6 Tons are classified as Light Commercial Vehicles (LCVs), and those whose GVW is above 6 Tons but under 17 Tons are categorized as Intermediate Commercial Vehicles (ICVs). This is the most widely used truck type because they’re efficient for highways, as they have both power and speed. They are further classified into:
1. Box Truck: A Box Truck has an enclosed cuboid-shaped cargo area. Box trucks are made by attaching a cargo box to the truck’s chassis. The cargo area is enclosed in a box, protecting the load from sun, rain, and snow. The box has a shutter, so the cargo is safe from theft. The ideal truck load for a box truck includes perishable foods, clothes, furniture, explosives.
2. Refrigerated Truck: They’re used to transfer perishable goods at low temperatures, for long-distance transport via road. The truck loads suitable for this truck are fruits and vegetables, medicines, vaccines, blood bags, etc.
3. Dump truck: Also known as dumpers, dump trucks transport materials such as soil, sand, gravel, demolition waste, coal, bricks, stone, etc. They are equipped with hydraulic ramps to lift the front, allowing material in the cargo to be dumped. They are also called tippers.
• Heavy Commercial Vehicles (HCV)
Heavy Commercial Vehicles (HCVs) have a GVW of 18 to 55 Tons. They consume a lot of fuel as they have mighty engines. They’re suitable for heavy truck loads. Examples of HCVs are:
1. Flatbed Truck: The cargo area in flatbed trucks is entirely flat. The flat surface allows for fast and easy loading and unloading of the truck load. They’re used to transport heavy goods that are not fragile and do not need protection from the rain. They’re the best choice to transport such goods that require more space than available in a closed space. Flatbed trucks have been commonly used as tow trucks. They’re used to transport truck loads like construction and mining implements, logs, machinery, etc.
2. Tank Trucks: Tank trucks or tankers have been specially designed to transport liquid and gas on the road. A large variety of tank trucks are available because of the variety of liquids and gases transported. They may be insulated or non-insulated, pressurized or non-pressurized, etc. Tank trucks are used to transport petrol, diesel, liquified petroleum gas (LPG), compressed natural gas (CNG), milk, molasses, wine, water, and industrial chemicals.
3. Tractor unit – Trucks: These trucks have a trailer attached to them. Many types of truck loads can be attached to it, which makes it versatile.
So, there are many types of trucks in India, and each serves specific purposes. It is therefore important to recognize the strengths of your truck and use it to haul the right kind of load.
To find the best load, online truck booking websites and truck booking apps have been launched. Using these platforms, businesses can book the right truck for their truck load at a favorable price all over India. It is India’s first fully free road transport marketplace.
Vahak is a platform that helps you match your truck to suitable loads all over India. Its online marketplace and directory help truck owners expand their business nationwide and increase profits. Download the app today and see how you can grow your transport business!